Celtic bask in Hampden sunshine as they secure historic double treble

Celtic have become the first Scottish side in history to win two domestic Trebles in a row after they beat Motherwell in the Scottish Cup Final.

Brendan Rodger's side took an early lead at Hampden thanks to a superb half volley from Callum McGregor, before French midfielder Olivier Ntcham's low drive added to Celtic's lead to effectively put the game to bed before half time.

Into the second half, Motherwell got a toe into the game as they created a number of chances but they couldn't find a way past Craig Gordon or the woodwork after shots from Curtis Main and Gael Bigirimana respectively.

Defeat for Motherwell means that Hibernian, who finished fourth in the Premiership, qualify for next season's Europa League qualifiers.

Story of the game

McGregor celebrates
McGregor celebrates

It took around 10 minutes for Celtic to open the scoring. Aussie Tom Rogic, coming off the back of signing a new five year deal, fired a cross into the Motherwell box but the clearance fell as far as McGregor who fired a half volley of an effort into the back of the net.

Celtic pressed forward looking for that killer second goal and 15 minutes later they were celebrating once more. Rogic again played a pivotal part as he played the ball to the feet of Dembele, who held up play before laying the ball off to Ntcham, who fired his shot low past Trevor Carson in the Motherwell goal.

Ntcham somersault
Ntcham somersault

Motherwell offered very little in the first half to threaten the Celtic goal, but they started on the front foot in the second half.

Curtis Main tested Craig Gordon at the start of the second half, with Celtic's number one forcing the Englishman's striker over the bar.

Carson denied an almost certain goal for Dembele on 71 minutes with a stunning save. The French Under-21 striker headed a cross towards goal from close range, but Carson was equal to it and made a one handed save before saving a follow up shot putting it wide.

On 80 minutes, Motherwell were handed a free kick in a dangerous position, but Bigirimana's free kick struck the woodwork.

But the Fir Park side couldn't pull a goal back and Celtic saw out the match to secure a historic double treble. They may not have been firing on all cylinders, but they have dominated the domestic game once more and will now look to strengthen ahead of next season.

CELTIC: Gordon; Lustig, Boyata, Ajer (Simunovic 76); Forrest (Sinclair 89), Brown, Ntcham, Tierney; Rogic (Armstrong 72) McGregor; Dembele. Subs Not Used: Bain, Kouassi, Roberts, Griffiths.

MOTHERWELL: Carson; Kipre, Aldred, Dunne; Cadden, Grimshaw, McHugh (Bigirimana 55) Campbell (Frear 79), Tait; Main, Bowman. Subs Not Used: Griffiths, Hartley, Petravicius, Turnbull, Maguire.

Last Ditch Tackle is unashamedly passionate about Scottish football, with a heavy Celtic slant.